A fast, tasty, and versatile bun that’s good for a cookout, as dinner rolls, or any number of other uses…and ready in just 1 hour.
250ml warm water (1 cup + 2 tbsp)
3 Tbsp honey
2 Tbsp yeast
4 Tbsp butter, softened
550g bread flour (3 1/2 cups)
1 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 375° (190°C).
- Mix the water, honey & yeast in your stand mixer bowl. Let stand for 5 minutes to allow the yeast to activate.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, and mix with dough hook attachment until a smooth dough forms, about 5 minutes. Let rest for 10 more minutes. (If kneading by hand, rub some canola oil on your hands rather than using flour to keep the dough from sticking.)
- After just 10 minutes, you’ll already see the dough rising. Punch it down, and form it into 12-16 buns–16 for hot dog buns, 12 for hamburger buns or bratwurst rolls. If you want to be really precise about it, this works out to about 60g (2.1oz) per hot dog bun or 80g (2.8oz) per hamburger bun.
- Place on a greased cookie sheet. Let rise for 15 minutes, preferably near the hot oven so they can use that heat to rise faster. Don’t skimp on this rise; it’s what keeps them soft the next day. TIP: If they’re rising too much upward and not enough outward, just gently press them down with the (oiled) palm of your hand.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes. Enjoy!
Add 2 teaspoons of a seasoning blend of your choice to the dry ingredients for a richer flavor. Garlic powder, minced onions, Italian Seasoning, or Herbes de Provence will all work nicely.
Add 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese or shredded cheddar cheese for cheesy buns.
Add 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, a teaspoon of Mixed Spice, and a cup of raising for a basic sweet roll recipe. This could also become the dough for cinnamon rolls, if you’re clever about how you shape them.
If you want to save these for later, you can freeze the buns after step 4. Wrap them in airtight cling wrap and/or put them in a sealable plastic bag, and freeze for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to bake them, remove the plastic and let them thaw at room temperature for about 30 minutes, or until you can see them start rising again. Then pop them into the preheated oven and bake as normal.
Keywords: bread, rolls, buns, quick, hamburger, hot dog, bratwurst, vegetarian