This recipe for Asparagus Punjabi Style celebrates spring and honors the amazing flavors of Punjab, a state in the northwest of India.
3 tablespoons peanut oil (or more, if needed to cover the bottom of the pan)
1/2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 medium sweet bell pepper (red, orange or yellow)
1 pound asparagus, cut into 1” pieces
1 teaspoon Kashmiri chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon amchur (mango) powder
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Heat the peanut oil on medium-high heat in a large sauté pan. Add the mustard seeds and cumin and sauté until the mustard seeds start to pop (you’ll know it when you see it).
- Add the onion and bell pepper and sauté for 3-5 minutes, or until the onions are translucent.
- Add the asparagus, then the chili powder, garam masala, ground turmeric, amchur powder, and salt and mix well.
- Add the water, lower heat to simmer, and cover. Allow to simmer for 5-7 minutes, or until the asparagus is tender.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle with lemon juice, mix lightly, and serve.
Keywords: Punjab, Punjabi, India, Indian, Pakistan, Pakistani, asparagus, spicy, vegetable, vegetarian, vegan